Be a volunteer and gain valuable experience
Animal AWARE could not continue without the vital help provided by volunteers. We are always very happy to receive help from volunteering veterinarians, too.
With over 300 dogs and almost 100 cats we always need help with anything from cleaning, grooming, walking the dogs, spending quality time with the animals, maintaining Shelter facilities and helping out with our education programmes. From time to time we also require help with our spay/neuter and rabies vaccination clinics, as well as garage sales and other fund-raising events.
Why not gain some valuable experience and at the same time do something extremely worthwhile by helping out at Animal AWARE?
Possible duties include:
- Dogs: feeding, bathing, brushing, obedience training, medicating, cleaning cages, walking, and socializing.
- Cats: feeding, brushing, medicating, cleaning the cages, and socializing.
- Keeping the Clinic clean and organised.
- Education programmes in local schools – must be fluent in Spanish.
- Helping with spay/neuter and rabies vaccination clinics in local villages.
- Thinking up and organizing fund-raising events.
- Sunday: Hound Heights is open to the public from 10 am to 3 pm. Volunteers can help show people around, assist parking, discourage littering, show animals to potential adopters, etc.
We charge US $5.00 per day per person to stay in the AWARE volunteer facilities. This helps us cover the costs of electricity, water, and gas. Food is not included. The quarters include a shower, bed, drinking water, cooking facilities and a refrigerator.
There is no charge for volunteering with AWARE if you provide your own accommodation. There are rooms to rent at reasonable prices in Sumpango, or you can stay in Antigua and take the bus to the Shelter each day. This journey takes approximately 1 hour door-to-door from Antigua and costs Q16 (US$2) round trip.
We need volunteers who are responsible for themselves and can take initiative.
The Shelter is located half a mile (800m) from the Pan American highway. It is hilly terrain, and the shelter is in woods at about 7500 feet (2300m). The local village, Sumpango, is a 15-minute walk from the property with internet facilities, food market, and bank.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, or would like more information, please call or e-mail :
Shelter Cell phone:+502 5401-3148
We always welcome help from qualified veterinarians. We have a well-equipped on-site clinic with facilities for operating. We hold monthly spay/neuter clinics at the shelter, as well as occasional spay/neuter and rabies vaccination clinics in local villages.
Download the questionnaire, fill it in, and send it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t have a PDF editor, you can copy the application form from the questionnaire and paste it into a text file.
Click here to open the information about volunteering in Japanese.
Click here to open the information about volunteering in German.